Site news

Daily Schedule - Wednesday, April 22, 2020 - "D" Day

Daily Schedule - Wednesday, April 22, 2020 - "D" Day

by Shannon Nelson -
Number of replies: 0
#AllinThisTogetherVikes!
-----------------------------

Senior Spotlight -Grace Harrison

What is your favorite memory from your earliest year(s) at CA? I have so many great memories, but one that's worth highlighting is when we "went to China" in kindergarten. We all put three things in a suitcase and got little fake passports, and then all the classes sat on the risers in the hall and we watched a video shot from the window of a plane flying over China.

What is your favorite most recent memory at CA? All of the time that i got to spend playing with my Kindergarten Buddy, Abby.

Name one person you have studied in class whom you would most want to talk with over lunch. Toni Morrison

What is one piece of advice about Upper School you would give to the Class of 2024 (current 8th-graders)? Keep an open mind. Your friends and interests and plans for the future will change from what you had envisioned them to be and that's okay.

What is one piece of advice about being seniors would you give to the Class of 2021 (current juniors)? It's not too late. I feel like a lot of people try to not to make new connections or get too attached their senior year since they'll have to leave, but you'll miss out on so much with that mindset. I made four new friends this year, and even though I’ll be leaving them, the time we've had together was so worth it.

What will you miss most about CA? The close relationships i have with faculty.

What teacher, coach or staff member has made the biggest impact on you and why? I'm actually going to say three people for this one: Dr. Broh, Dr. Jacky and Ms. Tursich. Ms. Tursich helped me realize that I wanted to pursue art (specifically graphic design) as a career, and for all the time she's let me spend in her room doing work outside of class. Dr. Jacky because his class was the first time that i got to have discussions about serious global issues in Spanish, and i realized that i had the ability to do that, and also for helping me realize that i don't have to try to make myself quieter or smaller, and that I'm not showing off because I'm passionate about something and want to engage in it. Dr. Broh because she has so generously allowed me and my friends to be in her space during our free time for years, and because she so genuinely values our relationship and will do anything to make time for me when I need it.

Image may contain: 3 peopleImage may contain: 1 person, smiling, child and closeupImage may contain: 3 people, people standing and outdoorImage may contain: 3 people, people standing, sky, shoes, child and outdoorImage may contain: 1 person, closeupImage may contain: 2 people, people standing and outdoorImage may contain: 1 person, outdoor, possible text that says 'COLUMBUS ACADEMY'

--------------------------

Senior Spotlight - Andrew Swartz

What is your favorite memory from your earliest year(s) at CA? Meeting my new friends.

What is your favorite most recent memory at CA? Getting to play on football senior night after being injured.

Name one person you have studied in class whom you would most want to talk with over lunch. Bill Gates

What is one piece of advice about Upper School you would give to the Class of 2024 (current 8th-graders)? Learn how to time manage as quickly as possible, it's one of the most important skills you can have.

What is one piece of advice about being seniors would you give to the Class of 2021 (current juniors)? You have to struggle through the first semester of senior year, not because it's difficult but because you will begin to deal with "senioritis." After that, just enjoy the people around you as you won't see them for much longer.

What will you miss most about CA? My close-knit friend group not being together everyday

What teacher, coach or staff member has made the biggest impact on you and why? Coach Street. I had never had him in class until senior year but I knew him through football. Whenever I got into his calculus class we started to become closer. Ultimately when I got injured in football and was sidelined for multiple weeks, he was the calm and steady hand I needed when dealing with the emotions I had about not being able to play a sport I loved. One of his most used quotes, "it is what it is," is one that stuck with me throughout the whole experience and I am forever grateful for him and the countless life lessons he has taught me.

Image may contain: 3 peopleImage may contain: 1 person, closeup and outdoorImage may contain: 1 person, shoes and outdoorImage may contain: 1 person, outdoorImage may contain: 3 people, outdoorImage may contain: 2 people, people sittingImage may contain: 1 person, sittingImage may contain: people playing sports, football and outdoor